Thursday, August 6, 2009

Reading outside your comfort zone


In Luck WI we have a ice cream shop called The Scoop and everytime me and my family go there i get something different. I try to not get the same ice cream twice, my son asks "dad, why do you always get a new kind of ice cream?" and I tell him "There are so many kinds that I want to try them all and maybe I will find a new favorite". That is how i approach my reading. Years ago all I would read was Stephen King, John Sandford, Patrica Cornwell, and John Grisham. After listening to a podcast about books where they had gave great reviews to a book called The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson I decided it was time to get out of my comfort zone. I went right to the m.o.r.e. site and requested the book.When it arrived I started reading I could not put it down. The Gargoyle is a book that has a romantic side to it and is something I never thought I would read not to mention become one of my favorite books of all time.

★★★★

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved The Gargoyle. Thanks to Eric for becoming our official library blogger.
colleen allen

Anonymous said...

I too really enjoyed the "Gargoyle". It was many stories within the story and I kept trying to find the overall theme of all of the stories. I thought the theme of "Love" was too simple, because it seemed like so much more than a "Love" story. But love comes in many forms and expressions. I really liked the author's development of the unnamed narrator of the story. I liked how he took a physically beautiful man who was emotionally empty and ugly, cleansed him with fire, and rebuilt him to be physically repulsive but emotionally strong, healthy and vital. Like a phoenix rising from the ashes - it was very fresh. The supplimental stories worked to enhance the idea that "Love" cannot be confined by time, culture, or physical borders. It cannot be defined by society, nor can it be limited by reality. And who gets to decide who's crazy anyway? This is a MUST read.
Jill Glover

Ann Kingman said...

Congratulations on your new blog! Your story is a great illustration of why it is important to have one or more trusted sources of book recommendations. Library staff often fill this role in a way that nobody else can. There's nothing better than to have someone put a book in your hands and say, "I know this isn't your usual kind of book, but trust me ..."

I'm glad you enjoyed The Gargoyle, and I hope you continue to read outside your comfort zone.

Colleen Allen said...

i can not stop reading Stieg Larsson's The Girl who Played with Fire. I'm just dumbfounded, which is why i stayed up so incredibly late trying to get to that dawning place where i understand just a LITTLE bit more.