Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Brightest Star in the Sky by Marian Keyes

“The Brightest Star in the Sky” is a crazy ride of a book. At the beginning, I wasn’t too impressed. I couldn’t keep track of all the characters and had trouble figuring everything out. Once I synchronized all the characters and understood the humor, I loved it.

There are seven neighbors in a Dublin apartment whose lives become entangled in a rush of events. The story is told by an unknown presence whose identity you will try to solve yourself or will have to wait until near the end for it to be solved for you. Married and single people in the building become involved in affairs of the heart….and body. Matt and Maeve are married with troubles from the past messing up their hearts; Lydia, a single cab driver, has an attitude that annoys and humors; Katie, the single PR executive, is looking for something more in her life; and the eighty-eight year old, Jemima, is full of wisdom and caring, while temporarily housing her handsome foster son, Fionn.

This book had me laughing out loud. It also had me puzzling over how or when everything would be explained. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it ends with the puzzle being solved – over and over.

If you are looking for a fun book, with lots of mystery, this is the one.

No comments: