Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bookmarks: The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

The Little Stranger follows the strange adventures of Dr. Faraday, the son of a maid who has built a life of quiet respectability as a country doctor. One dusty postwar summer in his home of rural Warwickshire, he is called to a patient at Hundreds Hall. Home to the Ayres family for more than two centuries, the Georgian house, once grand and handsome, is now in decline-its masonry crumbling, its gardens choked with weeds, the clock in its stable yard permanently fixed at twenty to nine. But are the Ayreses haunted by something more ominous than a dying way of life? Little does Dr. Faraday know how closely, and how terrifyingly, their story is about to become entwined with his.
I had high hopes for this book after Stephen King named it one of the best books of 2009. I love a good ghost story and this book had been compared to The Haunting of Hill House, which in my opinion is one of the best haunted house books ever written. I started reading and soon found myself over 100 pages in and realized that nothing was happening and I was getting bored. That was a real problem for me with this book. Nothing seemed to happen and what did happen was told to the narrator. He never experienced anything. The book was well written and I did finish so it was not terrible but it was just to boring for me.

No comments: